Eastman Choral Association
The Eastman Choral Association is a non-profit organization founded in 1988 to enhance and promote the growth of choral activities in Manitoba’s Eastman Region. It is one of six regional six regional affiliates of the Manitoba Choral Association committed to preserving and promoting Manitoba's strong choral tradition.
EMCA is an energetic and busy organization, presenting five key programs annually. The fall season brings the regional School Choral Workshop, consisting of four choirs and accommodating more than 400 singers from all corners of the Eastman region. The Eastman Youth Choir is also a vibrant bunch, rehearsing through two fast-paced weekends in the fall, followed by a never-to-be-forgotten regional tour. The annual Peace Concert, the Easter Sunrise Service and Sunday evening Vespers services provide opportunities for community members who love to sing with and for each other. Additional to the natural incentive to participate is the appeal of working with exceptional choral conductors from this province and beyond.
Looking forward to 2018
Eastman Youth Choir
Auditions for the fall season will take place on Tuesday, June 12, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the Steinbach Arts Centre, 302 Second St., Steinbach.
We’re enthused to welcome Rob Monson as conductor for 2018. Please visit our website for information on how to apply, dates to mark on your calendar, as well as peruse all the fabulous fun we’ve had in past years.
Links will appear here: Website page https://emyc.weebly.com/
Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/EastmanYouthChoir/
Vespers resumes the new year with beautiful and moving services held at the Mennonite Heritage Village at 7:00.
February 4 with conductor Lin Wiebe
March 4 with conductor Michael Dueck
Meredith Hutchinson, conductor
Annalee Schellenberg, pianist
Accent is a women’s ensemble based in Steinbach, Manitoba. They strive for a strong, unified sound, while remaining dedicated to the enjoyment derived from singing together. Their wish is to be accessible to the ears of their audiences, local and beyond, and to provide them with entertaining and polished performances, filled with a variety of musical genres. Accent is proud to be a partner with the Steinbach Arts Centre.
Next concert is Sunday, June 3, 2pm at the Mennonite Heritage Village
Annual School Workshop
The annual School Workshop will take place on Friday, October 12. Details TBA.
In other news
As usual, there is much choral activity in our region that operates under the aegis of other organizations, our schools, our churches and our vibrant arts council, that are worthy of noting here.
- The Hanover Holiday Singers (students from New Bothwell School) were featured alongside the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra as they made their annual visit to Steinbach during their Holiday Pops tour on December 5, 2017.
- The Steinbach Regional Secondary School (SRSS) mounted their bi-annual musical this last December and presented “Into the Woods” to enthusiastic audiences!
- Accent performed a winter concert on December 21 to a receptive audience in the marvellous acoustic of the Mennonite Heritage Village auditorium.
- The SRSS Chamber Choir, conducted by Kristel Peters, is preparing for yet another showcase concert at the Rocky Mountain Music Festival in Banff this spring!
- The Eastman Male Choir, in its third decade of existence and newly under the direction of Nathaniel De Avila. Details of their Spring Concert coming soon!
Board of Directors
Chair: Shannon Sawatzky
Treasurer: Sara Dueck
MCA Rep: Michael Dueck
Eastman Youth Choir: Leanne Warkentin, Shannon Sawatzky
Choral Society: Michael Dueck
School Workshop: Meredith Hutchinson
Vespers contact: Jen Wiebe
Members at large: Kim Gordon, Melanie Friesen, Kristel Peters