Frances Seaton Choral Composition Competition
Manitoba Choral Association supports and encourages the composition of new choral works by Manitoba composers with this annual competition in memory of Frances Seaton, long-time MCA member and Manitoba musician.
- $1,000 cash
- Performance of the winning work
- Publicity of the winning work and its composer by MCA
- The competition is open to Manitoba composers.
- Previously submitted works will not be accepted.
- Submissions must be unpublished and unperformed.
- There is an entry fee of $25 per composition submitted (maximum of two compositions). Cheques to be made out to Manitoba Choral Association.
- Deadline May 31
Competition Rules and Regulations
- Entries should have the potential for repeated performance by the majority of Canadian choirs.
- Duration: approximately 2-5 minutes.
- All musical styles are acceptable. Close attention should be paid to form and voice-leading.
- All copyright considerations related to submitted works are the sole responsibility of the composer.
- The printed music must be on 8.5” x 11” paper and produced with music notation software.
- A maximum of two works per composer may be submitted.
- All entries other than the winning composition will be destroyed.
- The competition will be adjudicated by a jury of Canadian choral experts.
- The winning work will be announced in October.
- The winner will receive $1,000.00. The jury may decline to award the prize if they feel none of the entries qualify.
- The winning work will be performed by a choir at the Provincial Honour Choir weekend as arranged by MCA.
- The winning work will be promoted by MCA through its connections and communication network.
- It is understood that the prize money includes royalties for the initial performance.
- Entry fee: $25 per submission. Cheques are to be made payable to Manitoba Choral Association.
- Four (4) copies of each work must be submitted. The composer’s name must not appear anywhere on the scores. The composer’s identity will be released by MCA only after judging has taken place.
- Send entries to: Frances Seaton Choral Composition Competition, Manitoba Choral Association, 5-276 Marion St, Winnipeg, MB R2H 0T7.
Steven Webb (2016)
Premier: Feb 5, 2017, 3:30pm PHC Concert, Westminster United Church
Darlene McKibben (2015)
Michael McKay (2014)
Premier: Feb 8, 2015, 3pm
PHC Concert, Knox United Church
Scott Reimer (2013)
Premier: Nov 21, 2014, 7:30p
ChoralFest Gala Concert
Sturgeon Creek United Church
Frances Seaton was born Frances Offrowich on January 16, 1946 in Winnipeg. She is an alumni of the University of Manitoba where she graduated with her family watching with pride. She always said, "We did this together as a team". Frances is a former Rose Bowl winner who retired from a career as a music specialist with the Winnipeg School Division.
As the former director of the Winnipeg Girls' Choir she has had the joy of being a part of the musical lives of many talented singers and musicians . As former choir director at St. James Anglican Church, she continued to have the opportunity to collaborate in the development of a creative music ministry , while, as director of the Good Neighbours' Choristers, she found a new vista of vocal and choral development.
Frances chaired the Provincial Honour Choirs program for many years including the 25th Anniversary celebrations. Her last contribution to the music community was as the President of the Manitoba Choral Association.
Frances touched thousands of children and adults with her passion for singing and music.