Immanuel United Church is seeking to fill the part-time position of Choir Director. This is a well established choir, of fifteen to eighteen people, which sings in four-part harmony. Our accomplished organist is equally skilled on our keyboard.
- choosing anthems
- appropriate for the abilities of the choir
- appropriate theologically (with consultation of the Worship Guiding Elders)
- teaching anthems, introits, hymns, offertory and Amen to the choir
- conducting the choir
- providing leadership (planning ahead, organizing for practices, making expectations clear, including the congregation in new and innovative ways vocally and instrumentally)
- communicating, as part of a team, with the appropriate individuals or groups (that is, the accompanist, the choir, the Worship Guiding Elders, the minister and other volunteer leaders)
- advanced education and/or experience in Music and Choral Music Leadership
- strong communication skills
- strong organizational skills
- knowledge of and experience with the United Church of Canada
- ability to see the choir and the congregation as a choral whole
Terms of Employment
This position is a yearly appointment, subject to renewal. Choir practices are on Thursday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. and one-half hour before the service starts on Sunday. Worship services are each Sunday at 11:00 a.m. for approximately one hour. Choir practice begins after the long-weekend in September and the choir continues to sing at worship until the end of May.
Two months notice of termination of employment is requested. The church has the right to offer two months notice of termination.
The annual salary, commensurate with education, abilities and experience, is to be divided into 9 equal monthly payments from September to May. Vacation pay of 4% is given each month in addition to salary.
The Choir Director is subject to an annual review and is accountable to the Ministry and Personnel committee.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume, along with the names of two references, marked “Personal and Confidential” to:
Choir Director Search Committee Immanuel United Church
755 Golspie Street
Winnipeg MB R2K 2V4