Transcona Memorial United Church (TMUC), located in the Transcona community within Winnipeg, is seeking a spiritually motivated, musically gifted, creative and technically competent Music Director. This is a part-time position requiring approximately 8 to 10 hours per week. Consideration would be given to a team of individuals performing the duties of this role.
Transcona Memorial has a long tradition of high quality music programs. Our congregation values excellence, participation, effort, and musical variety in worship with our Sunday service attendance often in the range of 200 individuals.
As an integral member of the TMUC ministry team, the part-time Music Director works very closely with the ministerial staff, pianist, organist, and the Worship and Welcome Team in coordinating TMUC’s music program. Reporting to the Ministry and Personnel Team, the Music Director provides musical leadership to the two volunteer choirs and works collaboratively with our other volunteer led musical groups, which includes a seasonal children’s choir.
- Participating in regular meetings with minister(s) and organist/pianist to collaboratively choose hymns that enhance worship and complement the lectionary, scripture readings, theme services and the additional special services during Lent and Christmas. Funeral or Wedding service preparation may be required. The Music Director chooses anthems and other choral music for each service, or works collaboratively with the team as required.
- Rehearsing and directing the choirs.
- Recruiting members for the choirs from within the congregation and through external contacts.
- Collaborating with the volunteer conductors of the seasonal children’s choir as well as our other musical groups in the choice of music, and scheduling of their participation in worship.
- Recruiting volunteer assistants if needed.
- As a member of the Worship and Welcome Team, attend meetings several times per year to discuss schedules, ideas and coordination of music and worship.
- Working with the minister(s) and organist/pianist to arrange music and soloists for the summer months.
- Contracting outside musicians for special services/events when required.
- Administering the approval annual music budget for TMUC choirs and ensembles, reporting to the Worship and Welcome Team.
- Managing choral acquisitions and the music library.
- Resourcing and/or providing musical leadership for the monthly Messy Church event, the one-week summer vacation bible school and other events in the life and work of TMUC as required.
- Undergraduate Degree in Music, including course work in choral direction
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment and volunteer environments
- Mature faith and good discernment to match music with the worship practices and setting of the United Church
- Christian perspective that is compatible with United Church theology
- Good knowledge of sacred choral literature
- Familiarity with a great variety of musical styles
- Demonstrated experience in choral conducting and rehearsal techniques
- Minimum 5 years experience working with choirs of all ages is desirable
- Well developed organizational skills
- Strong leadership and communication skills in working with volunteers, encouraging and developing others
- Proficient piano skills would be an asset. Ability to replace the accompanist (due to absence) at rehearsals would also be an asset.
- Membership in professional music organizations/associations would be an asset
TMUC is currently blessed with 2 volunteer SATB choirs (Chancel Choir – consisting of 17 individuals who practice once a week and sing 3 Sundays each month and the Carillons choir consisting of 14 individuals who practice once a week and sing on the last Sunday of each month) as well as a seasonal children’s choir (Joyful Noise choir – 8 to 10 children singing at Easter and Christmas).
We have a Kawai baby grand piano, a 2 manual Allen organ and an extensive music library. Our church utilizes “Voices United” and “More Voices” in our worship services. Other options may be available.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume on or before March 25, 2016 to the Ministry and Personnel Committee at Transcona Memorial United Church, 209 Yale Avenue West, Winnipeg, MB R2C 1T9, or via email to email@example.com, Subject line: TMUC Music Director.
Interviews will take place before the end of April 2016. All applications will be treated with confidentiality.
Employment start date: July 4, 2016
Additional information about TMUC can be found at www.tmuc.ca