Transcona Memorial United Church (TMUC), located in the Transcona community within Winnipeg, is seeking a spiritually motivated, musically gifted, creative and technically competent Music Director. This is a part-time position requiring approximately 4 to 5 hours per month.
TMUC has a long tradition of high quality music programs. Our congregation values excellence, participation, effort, and musical variety in worship with our Sunday service attendance often in the range of 200 individuals.
As an integral member of the TMUC ministry and music team, the part-time Music Director works very closely with the ministerial staff, our other part-time Music Director, organist/pianist, and the Worship and Welcome Team in coordinating TMUC’s music program. Reporting to the Ministry and Personnel Team, the Music Director would provide musical leadership to a volunteer contemporary choir (Carillons Choir) and a seasonal children’s choir (Joyful Noise Choir).
- Participating in regular meetings with minister(s) and other members of the TMUC music team to collaboratively select hymns that enhance worship and complement the lectionary, scripture readings, theme services and the additional special services during Lent and Christmas. The Music Director chooses anthems and other choral music for the worship service held on the last Sunday of the month, or works collaboratively with the music team as required.
- Rehearsing and directing the Carillons and Joyful Noise Choirs.
- Recruiting members for choirs from within the congregation and through external contacts.
- Collaborating with volunteers associated with the seasonal children’s choir in the choice of music, and scheduling of their participation in worship. Recruiting volunteer assistants if needed.
- As a member of the Worship and Welcome Team, attend meetings several times per year to discuss schedules, ideas and coordination of music and worship.
- Working with the ministers, other part-time Music Director and organists/pianists to arrange music and soloists for the summer months.
- Contracting outside musicians for special services/events when required.
- Working within the approved annual music budget for TMUC choirs and music.
- Managing choral acquisitions and the music library.
- Resourcing and/or providing musical leadership for the monthly Messy Church event, the one-week summer vacation bible school and other events in the life and work of TMUC as required.
- Reporting music licensing requirements via the TMUC Office Administrators.
- Undergraduate Degree in Music, including course work in choral direction would be preferable however consideration would be given to a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team and volunteer environment.
- Mature faith and good discernment to match music with the worship practices and setting of the United Church.
- Christian perspective that is compatible with United Church theology.
- Good knowledge of sacred choral literature.
- Familiarity with a great variety of musical styles.
- Demonstrated experience in choral conducting and rehearsal techniques.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with choirs of all ages is desirable.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Strong leadership and communication skills in working with other staff, children, volunteers and congregational members.
- Ability to encourage and develop others.
- Proficient organ and/or piano skills would be an asset. Ability to replace the accompanist (due to absence) at rehearsals would also be an asset.
- Membership in professional music organizations/associations would be an asset.
The Carillons Choir is a volunteer SATB contemporary choir consisting of approximately 12 individuals who practice once a week prior to the last Sunday of each month when they sing at the worship service. The seasonal children’s choir (Joyful Noise Choir) consists of approx. 8-10 children singing at Easter and Christmas services. They practice weekly for a few weeks prior to the specific worship services.
TMUC has a Kawai baby grand piano and a 2 manual Allen organ and an extensive music library. Our church utilizes “Voices United” and “More Voices” in our worship services. Other options may be available.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume on or before
April 14, 2017 to the Ministry and Personnel Team at Transcona Memorial United Church, 209 Yale Avenue West, Winnipeg, MB R2C 1T9, or via email to email@example.com, Subject line: TMUC Music Director. All applications will be treated with confidentiality.
Additional information about TMUC can be found at www.tmuc.ca