Title: Sistema Site Coordinator
Program: Sistema Winnipeg
Reports to: Sistema Manager
Hours: Part-time, 18 hours/week
Dates: September 2017 – June 2018
Pay rate: Hourly
Sistema Winnipeg is an inclusive and intensive orchestral program of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra that focuses on children with the fewest resources and greatest need. The program delivers free musical training to children after school for three hours a day, five days a week. Sistema Winnipeg encourages children to reach their full potential and inspires greater social change within the community.
The role of the Sistema Site Coordinator is to ensure the successful daily coordination of activities at Sistema school locations, provide student support and behavioural management, and to assist the Sistema Manager in program administrative tasks. The position will collaborate with an exciting team of Sistema teachers to facilitate the social, musical, educational and organizational goals in alignment with El Sistema’s ideals of musical excellence and social inclusion.
- Assist in running the daily on-site operations of the Sistema Winnipeg program
- Managing logistics and transitions between classes, monitoring hallways, taking attendance and assisting teachers in their classroom set up as needed.
- Support student engagement and participation on a daily basis.
- Responding and dealing with behavioural issues and/or absences as they arise
- Develop protocol for dealing with behavioural issues & process
- Develop relationship with students, parents, families & build trust in the community
- Attend functions that Sistema kids are involved in
- Communicate with WSO teachers and provide support/liaise with WSO
- Recruiting, supervising and supporting volunteers
- Attend meetings as required
- Provide support to teachers in the classroom as needed
- Recruit and coordinate Sistema volunteers, including vulnerable sector checks, training and retention.
- Track, catalogue and maintain inventory, including instruments and supplies
- Tracking and maintaining relevant databases and records on students
- Assist in coordinating logistics for concerts and performances
- Assist in overseeing the broad implementation of program-wide curriculum
- Support Sistema Manager in other areas as needed
- Post-secondary degree in music, education or social work; Diploma in Early Childhood Education; Educational Assistant Certificate; or other strongly related experience
- Strong desire to work with children
- Experience leading groups of young children, including an understanding of constructive behaviour management skills
- Experience working individually with children to collaboratively problem solve, including using active listening skills and encouraging intrinsic motivation
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working with underserved communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to be flexible and work effectively within a diverse community
- Strong organizational and writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Positive attitude and a willingness to “pitch in” whenever needed
- Working knowledge of musical instruments and pedagogy is an asset
- Strong commitment to El Sistema philosophy of social change through music and the mission of Sistema Winnipeg
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher and citizen
- Ability to work independently as well as under frequent observation
- Additional languages is an asset
- Provide a current copy (less than 6 months) of a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or resumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
Applicants should submit their cover letter and resumé by July 28, 2017 at 4:00pm to email@example.com. Interviews will be held in the first two weeks of August.
Sistema Winnipeg Manager
Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
Deadline for Applications: July 28, 2017