Culture Days Manitoba Sep 20, 30 & Oct 1, 2017
Free Arts & Cultural Programming
Friday, September 29, 2017
Teachers, do you want to start your 2017-2018 school year off with a bang? Culture Days Manitoba is looking for student groups to either attend our 8th annual free arts and cultural festival this coming September 29-October 1.
STUDENT DAY AT THE FORKS
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
Student Day at The Forks hosted by Culture Days Manitoba, supported by The Forks, is a completely free event designed to engage students in the Arts and Cultural Sector. It is a celebration that features workshops by organizations such as "Indigenous Games" presented by Winnipeg Aboriginal Sport Achievement Centre, "Film Directing for Youth" by Film Training Manitoba, "Stop Animation" by Freeze Frame Film Festival, "Our Values Tour" by the Canadian Museum for Human Rights to only name a few. We have live performances on the Stage Under the Canopy from 10:00am-2:00pm. This is a great opportunity to get involved, immerse students in cultural workshops, and celebrate our diversity. Whether you would like to attend or perform, please save the date September 29 for Culture Days 2017!
STORYTELLING DAY AT THE FORKS
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
Presented by the Winnipeg School Division's United by Stories
Supported by Culture Days Manitoba and The Forks
Join us for Storytelling Day at The Forks* this year with the theme Everybody Has The Right. The Winnipeg School Division United by Stories will be assembling a 120-piece puzzle to discover the stories and to witness how we continue to be united by our being ourselves within our community. We will share our images with the leadership of Jamie Oliviero, Joe Halas and Chantelle Cotton. More about "Everybody Has The Right" project.
There will be a keynote speaker and a storyteller presented in order to help us understand the meaning and movement behind Orange Shirt Day, which falls on Friday, September 29, 2017. We invite this year's participants to wear orange shirts in solidarity with the campaign.
Schools interested in attending the activities are asked to register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
*Please note, Storytelling Day is happening at The Forks this year, not at Central Park.
SCHOOLS WHO WOULD LIKE TO HOST EVENTS
Celebrating Culture Days does not have to be a performance at The Forks or even attending these events. You can celebrate with your students in your own school or community in a number of ways. Here are some ideas:
- engage students in a discussion about their artistic works in progress;
- celebrate with a cultural dance or creative movement activity;
- organize an art activity tied to science, social studies or math;
- invite a local artist, historian or multicultural leader to discuss Manitoba's culture with students;
- organize a sidewalk chalk drawing session;
- take a field trip to a museum, heritage site or art gallery and experience Manitoba's culture first-hand;
- and many more... see other ideas here!
These activities can take part anytime during the week of Culture Days (September 25-October 1) in your school and community. Once you've decided on your classroom or school's involvement:
- Register your class and school activities and projects by sending a short overview of your event or activity to email@example.com and you'll be included in the Culture Days Manitoba program.
- Challenge other schools and teachers to join.
- Share this information with school division, parents and community friends through school newsletters and websites.
More info on Culture Days here: Participation Guide
Some of our workshops require registration before the event, with only limited capacity. Others run all day, and have a flexible schedule that allow schools to map out their own itinerary. More details will be posted online: www.mb.culturedays.ca.
Once again, we would like to thank everyone that made last year so memorable and enjoyable. Create, participate and share school wide learning in the arts!
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via email or by phone at 204-942-8221.
Culture Days Manitoba Team