University of Manitoba Desautels Faculty of Music
We are excited to let you know about our choral professional development sessions this July 10-13 at the University of Manitoba Desautels Faculty of Music.
At the University of Manitoba Desautels Faculty of Music, our approach to professional development for choral music educators and conductors focuses on developing a meaningful sense of community amongst participants, while pursuing advanced choral musicianship.
The format of the program is highly interactive and elaborates on numerous facets of the choral art from an innovative, yet practical, perspective. Daily activities include lectures and workshops highlighting aspects of vocal technique and advanced gesture through body mapping, as well as presentations on choral program development and performance practice. Additionally, participants will be introduced to inventive rehearsal techniques that develop a unique sense of community among singers while encouraging the development of solid vocal principles and increased musicianship at an individual level. Participants will have the opportunity to observe these principles being applied in rehearsal with both an elementary and a secondary choir. Individual coachings in voice, diction, and conducting gesture are available throughout the three day intensive.
University of Manitoba’s first fikamusik Choral Conducting Intensive in 2013 was a huge success. This season, the professional development sessions are geared toward K-12 music educators and community conductors of youth choirs. As always, collaboration is at the heart of our work and we strive to integrate perspectives from expert faculty who specialize in various areas that contribute to choral excellence:
- Dr. Catherine Robbins, Assistant Professor Choral Studies/Music Education, Director of University of Manitoba Concert Choir
- Professor Mel Braun, Associate Professor of Voice, Musical Director of Opera Studies, Conductor of Camerata Nova
- Dr. Laura Loewen, Associate Professor Collaborative Piano, Vocal Coach, Language Studies
- Andrea Wicha, Music Specialist Pembina Trails Division, Conductor of PTV Choraliers
- Dr. Elroy Friesen, Head of Choral Studies, Director of University Singers, Women’s Chorus
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Deadline for registration is June 1, 2016.